Tuesday, 24 April, 2018
This is just a short reminder about what to keep in mind when you're preparing some MySQL 8.0 performance testing (or any other 8.0 evaluation) and want to do it "with less blood" ;-))
So far, here is the list :
- 8.0 is using UTF8 by default, so if you're expecting to compare apples-to-apples, configure it with "latin1" as it was before to compare to 5.7/5.6/etc. (or configure them all to UTF8 if your target is to compare UTF8)..
- binlog is enabled by default, so mind to switch it OFF if it's not in your target..
- SSL is ON by default (switch it OFF if not your target)
- auto UNDO truncate is ON by default (if you prefer to avoid any periodic spikes in background of flushing activity due UNDO auto truncate, just switch this features OFF (while you'll still be able to involve the same truncate manually whenever you need it))
- there is a new default authentication plugin (and if you want to see your old apps still working with 8.0, just initialize your MySQL instance + use in your config file the old plugin instead (NOTE: you may still switch plugins via ALTER))
- InnoDB doublewrite fix is still NOT part of the published code, so unless your target is to really show how this missed fix is impacting your workload, switch it OFF (but still mind to bombard Sunny with complaining messages about how this fix is important for you ;-))
MySQL 8.0 Server initialization :
to add to your my.conf file before you start your MySQL instance :$ ./bin/mysqld --user=mysql --datadir=./data --initialize-insecure \ --default-authentication-plugin=mysql_native_password
[mysqld] ... ssl=0 default_authentication_plugin=mysql_native_password skip_log_bin=1 character_set_server=latin1 collation_server=latin1_swedish_ci skip-character-set-client-handshake innodb_undo_log_truncate=off innodb_doublewrite=0
blog comments powered by DisqusNote: if you don't see any "comment" dialog above, try to access this page with another web browser, or google for known issues on your browser and DISQUS..